Welsh Mountain Community Center
The Welsh Mountain Community Center is a recreation center and accompanying park for everyone in the community to enjoy. The Welsh Mountains harbor the second-most continuous forest left in Lancaster County, superseded only by the Furnace Hills. This park preserves a nice part of that forest, which is in various stages of natural plant succession. A combination of a wooded area and open green space makes much of this park accessible to hikers, nature lovers, picnic goers and casual day visitors. The park has a recreational center, walking trail, picnic table, pavilion, basketball court, children's recreation areas, and open green space for sports activities. The park has many beautiful natural areas for people to view and wonder about in.
Welsh Mountain Community Center Kichen Remodel
Welsh Mountain Community Center recently updated the Kitchen Area to better server you at your Events.
Welsh Mountain Community Center Awards
Welsh Mountain Community Center won the Best of New Holland Youth Organizations Award for 2011.
Community Rewards Program
The Welsh Mountain Community Center lies on 6 acres of land filled with recreational activities for everyone. Reservations for use of any of the facilities are given priority. For more information on reserving the park, click here. Otherwise, use of the park is on a first come, first served basis. However, guests are encouraged to share the facilities, if possible, when crowding occurs. Donations by users are encouraged for improvements and maintenance.
- Community Center: A fully enclosed structure provides space for meetings, recreation, reunions, indoor picnics, and wedding receptions. The building including air-conditioning and heating, a kitchen, modern restrooms, ample parking, and trash receptacles. (MAXIMUM BUILDING CAPACITY: 150 PEOPLE)
- Basketball: Get some friends together for a game or just practice your shooting on WMCC's junior high size outdoor court. With advance, the court can be set up for volleyball.
- Pavilion: Enjoy reunions with family and friends in a peaceful wooded setting at WMCC's picnic shelter. The 20 by 36 foot structure offers picnic tables and grills for your convenience. (SEATING FOR APPROXIMATELY 80 PEOPLE)
- Play Area: Sliding, riding, climbing, and swinging are just some of the activities youngsters can enjoy on WMCC's playground. While you savor the natural surroundings, your children burn off excess emery on sturdy play equipment.
- Open Field: Bring your own sports equipment and have fun. There's plenty of room for Frisbee, badminton, volleyball, and other yard games.
- Natural Trail: Enjoy a peaceful journey through a quarter mile long natural trail in the wooded section of the park.
- Picnic Tables: Spend an afternoon outside and eat in the shade of the trees on one of several picnic tables located throughout the park.
- Horseshoes: Challenge your friends to a game of horseshoes located behind the pavilion.
The Welsh Mountain Community Center traces its roots to the Welsh Mountain Youth Center, founded through the efforts of community residents in 1970. The youth center grew and blossomed through the years with the guidance of a board of directors and with the help of area churches and businesses.
Fire destroyed the center in 1981 but not the spirit of the board and the area citizens. Their efforts provided for reconstruction of the main building and improvements to the park.
Meanwhile, the name of the facility was changed by the board to Welsh Mountain Community Center to reflect an intent to serve all the residents of the area with quality recreational and educational programs.
Donations of supplies, money, or volunteer labor are appreciated for making continuing improvements to the park and for maintenance. The Welsh Mountain Community Center is a non-profit organization. Volunteers to better the park or maintain it always needed and appreciated!